I saw a post that said what I wanted to say better than I could have ever said it, so instead of trying to paraphrase it or recreated it, I’m doing the old copy and paste bit and letting you read the original for yourself. It’s worth the read:
“Without the Gospel This Is Laughable.
‘Do everything in love.’ 1 Cor. 16:14
Heavenly Father, “Do everything in love?… seriously? There’s only one reason to take this admonition seriously. We love because you first loved us and gave Jesus as our perfect and complete Savior (1 John 4:19). We won’t love perfectly till heaven, but we are already loved perfectly by you. Now and forever, you love us without conditions, limits, qualifiers, or disqualifiers. It’s only because of your great love for us in Jesus we can risk loving when it’s not easy, won’t be reciprocated, and requires more than we want to give. Help us, Father.
• Help us love well when we’re tired, frustrated, and sleep-deprived.
• Help us love well when we get triggered by past wounds and broken trust.
• Help us love well when conflict is inevitable and necessary—like a boil-lancing.
• Help us love well by remembering the Gospel—more so than real hurts.
• Help us love well by taking back the power we gave people to shame us.
• Help us love well—not using kindness and politeness to get something.
• Help us love well during Thanksgiving. Holidays can be fun, tricky, and messy.
• Help us love well, releasing control, outcomes, and our fears to you.
• Help us love well—by giving grace, not getting even.
Father, keep our hearts alive to your tenacious, wild, outrageous, joyful, transforming love for us in Jesus. That will make all the difference in the world. So very Amen we pray, in Jesus’ merciful and mighty name” (Scotty Smith).