“First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity” (1 Timothy 2:1-2).
Today, we witnessed the inauguration of Joe Biden as the 46th President of the United States. It comes at a time when there has been unprecedented strife and division in the country with unity seeming like a pipe-dream.
I confess that I didn’t vote for Mr. Biden. I also confess before you now that I’ll be praying like never before for him and Kamala Harris. I believe that Jesus calls His followers to honor their leaders and to pray for them, whether it was 45 or now 46. It doesn’t matter whether I agree with their policies and platforms. I’m still commanded by Almighty God to acknowledge that all power and authority ultimately comes from Him.
I still firmly believe that God’s people owe no allegiance to any political party. I’ve said before that the Church of God is not called to speak with a political voice but with a prophetic voice. We’re called to love people, no matter who they voted for or what labels they put on themselves. As my church always says, we’re to share the whole gospel with anyone anywhere at any time.
The mission of the Church is still the same. We’re still called to make the invisible grace of Jesus visible to those around us every day (to borrow from Paul David Tripp). We put our hope now and forever not in a President and a flag but in a King and a Kingdom.
I found this prayer guide in an email from the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee and thought it would be helpful in praying for the new President and Vice-President.
- Acknowledge to God that He has placed them in these positions of authority. Daniel 2:21 says that God changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and establishes kings.
- Ask God to protect President Biden and his wife, as well as Vice President Harris and her husband, from the forces of evil that may desire to do them harm.
- Appeal to God that He will provide His wisdom to President Biden and Vice President Harris so they will see what God desires and be influenced by those around them who will give them the right counsel.
- Ask God to empower them to make decisions that will protect our nation at all times, leading us to be able to live tranquil and quiet lives in all godliness and dignity.
- Appeal to God earnestly that President Biden and Vice President Harris and all of their administration will find ways to work with both houses of Congress, bringing resolution to the most pressing needs facing America today.
I’ve included the link of the original post so you can read more of it if you want: