In 7 days, many believers will participate in Ash Wednesday, the start to a 40-day period of fasting called Lent. During this time, people generally will give up something like coffee or sweets or television. I personally have given up social media for the duration.
If you’re stuck for something to sacrifice, here are some good ideas I read about in an email I received today. It’s from Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd.
FYI: You can give these up not only for Lent but for the rest of the year and hopefully, for the rest of your life.
1. Fear of Failure- You don’t succeed without experiencing failure. Just make sure you fail forward.
2. Your Comfort Zone- It’s outside our comfort zone where new discoveries are made.
3. Feelings of Unworthiness- You are fearfully & wonderfully made by your Creator.
4. Impatience- God’s timing is the perfect timing.
5. Retirement- As long as you are breathing, you are here for a reason.
6. People Pleasing- I can’t please everyone any ways. There is only One I need to strive to please.
7. Comparison- I have my own unique contribution to make & there is no one like me.
8. Blame- I am not going to pass the buck. I will take responsibility.
9. Guilt- I am loved by Jesus & He has forgiven my sins.
10. Over commitment- Do less good & accomplish more.
11. Lack of Counsel- Wise decisions are rarely made in a vacuum.
12. Impurity- Live lives pure & without blemish.
13. Entitlement- Neither the world nor God owes me anything. Live in humility & grace.
14. Apathy- Life is too short not to care.
15. Hatred- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
16. Negativity- I will put the best construction on everything when it comes to other people.
17. The Spirit of Poverty- Believe that with God there is always more than enough & never a lack.
18. Going Through the Motions- The more you invest yourself, the more you will get back.
19. Complaint- Instead of contributing to the problem, be the solution.
20. The Pursuit of Happiness- God wants something greater & more lasting than happiness. It is called joy.
21. Bitterness- The only person I am hurting by holding on to this is myself.
22. Distraction- Life is filled with distractions that will take our eyes off the prize.
23. Giving Up- God never gives up on us.
24. Mediocrity- If you are going to do something, then give it all you got.
25. Destructive Speech- Encourage one another.
26. Busyness- It is a badge of honor to be busy. But that does not always translate to abundance.
27. Loneliness- With Jesus I am never alone. He is with me wherever I go.
28. Disunity- If 2 of you agree on earth about anything, it will be done for them by the Heavenly Father.
29. The Quick Fix- Rarely does true transformation happen over night.
30. Worry- God is in control & worry will not help.
31. Idolizing- Don’t assign anyone a standard they cannot live up to.
32. Resistance to Change- Change is certain. It is not if we will change, but how we will change.
33. Pride- Blessed are the humble.
34. Small View of God- Don’t tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is.
35. Envy- My value is not found in my possessions, but in my relationship with my Heavenly Father.
36. Ungratefulness- You have been blessed in a way greater than you realize.
37. Selfish Ambition- God has a mission for me that is bigger than me.
38. Self-Sufficiency- Jesus is my strength. I can do all things through Him.
39. Sorrow- Weeping may tarry for a night, but joy comes in the morning.
40. My Life- Whoever loves his life loses it & whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.
I normally don’t share this kind of thing, but I believe there are a lot of nuggets that will help a lot of people (including me). May these bless you and they have blessed me.